[Fsuk-manchester] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives

Sam Tuke samtuke at fsfe.org
Wed Oct 24 16:53:53 UTC 2012

Hi Daniel,

On Thursday 04 Oct 2012 12:21:52 Daniel Pocock wrote:
> I'm not sure if I can reply to all the lists on CC, but would it be
> possible to set up a dedicated list for this initiative, or could I
> offer to host a list for this purpose at OpenTelecoms.org ?

The testing event that we ran was originally planned as a one-off event.
However, there is still much work to be done on this issue, and there does
seem to be quite a lot of interest.

We (FSFE) are happy to provide a new mailing list for Free Software telephony
type discussion. Would you be happy to administer such a list? It would run
mailman (quickML is not a good solution in my experience, though we support
this also). How about free-telephony at lists.fsfe.org?

Would the list be for generic discussion, or coordination of a specific task?
Do you already have some initial list members in mind? It could be a good
place to coordinate more testing sprints.

> Microsoft now has both the
> corporate domain (Lync) and consumer (Skype) and will most likely try to
> join them together more closely, and then do their usual trick of
> bastardizing the protocol and locking out alternative solutions.
> Given the existing widespread use of Skype, this is scary stuff.

Agreed!

Sam.
--
Sam Tuke
Campaign Manager
IM : samtuke at jabber.fsfe.org
Latest UK Free Software news: uk.fsfe.org
Is freedom important to you? Join the fellowship.fsfe.org