FSFE wiki card howto / subkeys

Martin Gollowitzer gollo at fsfe.org
Tue Oct 9 15:34:31 UTC 2012

* Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.com.au> [121007 19:43,
  mID <5071BF34.2010704 at pocock.com.au>]:

> Can anyone comment on the state of play?

I strongly suggest to use subkeys for your card and keep the main key
out of the keyring you are using on a daily basis. If you need to change
UIDs in your key or sign another key, you can still get your backup from
the Orcs and use it for these tasks. For everything else, using the card
with its subkeys is just find.

If you need to use your card on a computer not under your control, you
can just run the "fetch" command on the card and GnuPG will get your
public key from the URI saved on the card. You can then immediately use
the card on that machine. I consider this a great feature and it's
proven useful to me once in the past.

Just my €0,02

Martin