[Fsuk-manchester] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives

Dan MacDonald allcoms at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 11:46:49 UTC 2012

Hi Sam!

> We had one video call pass using Pidgin to Google talk, so yes, it can
> be done.

Thats good to know!

> What makes you say that the Google library is non-Free?
> Libjingle, used by Google, is BSD licensed. Is there another Google
> plugin I'm not aware of?

Maybe I was a bit vague but I'm referring to the Google talk Mozilla
plugin and related libs required to use GTalk under GMail. This is my
only experience of XMPP so far and you need to install Googles
google-talkplugin deb or rpm to enable it as far as I'm aware.

I have not been able to find any source to this so that I might be
able to use GMails XMPP/Jingle support under gmail on my Pandaboard
for example although I must admit I've not gone to the effort of
requesting said source from Google yet. Its nice having it under GMail
as you need a browser anyway and if you're a gmail user then its nice
not having to install and configure an extra client- it generally
'just works' TM, R etc

So, there are no working XMPP/Jingle clients for neither JACK nor KDE/Qt? :/