petition: official currency code for Bitcoin (BTC?)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 11:22:37 UTC 2012

On 12 November 2012 10:17, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's certainly true that we could do with a means of funds transfer
> that isn't subject to the skimming and interference of the credit card
> companies and PayPal. Rick Falkvinge has written a bit on why he likes
> BitCoin for this purpose, and what its problems are; those interested
> in the topic should read:
> http://falkvinge.net/2011/05/29/why-im-putting-all-my-savings-into-bitcoin/
> http://falkvinge.net/2011/06/04/bitcoins-four-hurdles-part-one-usability/
> (and parts two, three and four)

On a slightly different issue to currency code advocacy, but relevant
to Falkvinge's essays above, this also strikes me as an interesting
development:

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/442274/wordpress_accept_bitcoins_due_paypal_credit_card_blocks/

- WordPress.com accepting bitcoins specifically because of problems
with credit cards and PayPal.

The FSF accepts bitcoin donations. The EFF does not accept bitcoin
donations, considering them legally dubious. Wikimedia considered it
and decided the EFF not accepting them was sufficient reason not to
dive in.

The FSFE is in a different legal environment, but bitcoins may be
worth looking into if a sufficient number of American organisations
(nonprofit and commercial) start accepting them.

(And note I'm saying all that as someone quite sceptical of Bitcoin.)

- d.