[Fsuk-manchester] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives

Sam Tuke samtuke at fsfe.org
Fri Nov 2 16:14:19 UTC 2012

On 10/24/2012 06:08 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> I've actually proposed a follow-up talk about the subject for the
> upcoming mini-DebConf, as a developer of VoIP apps I'm quite keen
> to (try to) answer questions that people have about why so many
> things didn't work during the tests on Software Freedom Day
>
> http://fr2012.mini.debconf.org/#schedule

Very good! Please let me know if there is a video made of this talk, I
can make a news item out of it on fsfe.org.

> Yes, I'm happy to administer that, and mailman is fine.

I'll get that set up.

> Some people don't like the term telephony, they feel it is
> restrictive.  Real-time communications (RTC) is more generic.  The
> list could be called free-rtc, as long as the long description in
> the mailman index has the full details, e.g. 'Genuinely free and
> open Real-Time Communications (RTC), encompassing VoIP, IM and
> other distributed applications'

Sounds good to me (so long as it doesn't get confused with webrtc).

> Yes, I will email some of the key people behind other VoIP
> products and ask them to support this.  Not all of them are FSF
> members, but it is OK for them to use the list too?

Yes that's absolutely fine. FSF and FSFE are separate sister
organisations, by the way :)

> As for the next steps, I think the min-DebConf and FOSDEM (Feb
> 2013) are prime opportunities to take further steps.  I am
> submitting a talk proposal on this for FOSDEM, and I would be
> really interested to know if anyone from FSFE would like to support
> that or be involved.

What kind of support do you have in mind? Promotion, or a co-speaker,
or something else?

Best,

Sam.

- --
Sam Tuke
Campaign Manager
Free Software Foundation Europe
IM : samtuke at jabber.fsfe.org
Latest UK Free Software news: uk.fsfe.org
Is freedom important to you? Join the fellowship.fsfe.org