Groundhog day: Leaflet for Software Patents

Erik Albers eal at fsfe.org
Fri May 18 12:45:55 UTC 2012

On 05/16/2012 11:58 PM, Hugo Roy wrote:
> Le mercredi 16 mai 2012 à 16:45 +0200, Erik Albers a écrit :
>> The text is available here: http://policy.etherpad.fsfe.org/7;
>> PW: SWPAT2012
>>

> Ciaran and I have given 2 proposals for the introduction and I
> also brought various substantial changes to the document with
> comments that need your attention.
I did some changes again, thanks for your good work! Please have a
look at the actual version. I created a third option for the
introduction. The text reads like:

"Software patents, thus, are a real threat to users freedom,
innovation and the whole Free Software community."
This is a simple sentence, addressing the most important topics and
therefore (hopefully) attracts readers. There is no need to come up
with detailed arguments or information in the introduction. The
introduction should be a short, attractive message to get readers to
go on reading. Now it reads like:

"FSFE is working toward a world where software does what users want it
to do. Software patents, however, create legal and financial risks
that block most people from being able to safely participate in
software development and distribution. Software patents, thus, are a
real threat to users freedom, innovation and the whole Free Software
community."

Then, in the following passages we come up with detailed information
and arguments. Hence, there is no need wo include them in the
introduction. What do you think?

Cheers,
Erik

- --

Erik Albers                               [ ]
Free Software Foundation Europe        [ ][ ][ ]
Policy Team                               [ ]
Your donation powers our work! [http://fsfe.org/donate/]

Contact me in < Deutsch/English/Español > via:
  Mail    eal at fsfe.org
  Jabber  eal at jabber.fsfe.org
  Phone   +49-30-27595290

Free Software Foundation Europe e.V. is a German Verein registered
at the Registergericht Hamburg (VR 17030).