[Policy-team] Groundhog day: Leaflet for Software Patents

Hugo Roy hugo at fsfe.org
Fri May 18 10:05:52 UTC 2012

Innovation is sort of the point of the patent system. So maybe this
paragraph should stay there to explain that software patent actually
work against innovation in software.

One strong point in favour of keeping this paragraph is that most people
don't actually understand that writing software is a substantially
different activity than producing drugs for instance. Patents are trying
to cover an activity (writing software) which wasn't meant to be covered
by the patent system, applying patent to it is actually
counterproductive.

Again, this is a side-issue of software freedom. But Software freedom is
directly impacted by lack of possibility left for innovation.

Now I draw your attention to this: the current paragraph about
innovation is not well written in my opinion (and this largely my fault)
so native English speakers are really needed here because they will do a
much better job of putting in one or two sentences what would take me 5.

Thanks,
Hugo
--
Hugo Roy