A modest proposal to stop INTERNET PIRACY in its tracks

Xavi Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.cat
Tue Jan 24 13:19:08 UTC 2012

On Tue 24/01/12 12:29 , David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ban all copyrighted material from the Internet that is not under a free
> licence.
>
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/104205134740204626607/posts/Riy9n4Fv2SW
>
> Anyone want to get behind this one? :-D

Not me. Besides what's been said already, I wonder what you mean by
"there is nothing to pirate". "Piracy" is quite a silly term but I usually assume
people mean illegal copying of copyrigthed works. If you only allow freely
licensed works in the internet it means there are still copyright licenses
and they can be infringed. People can "pirate" free works and they do (and
sometimes they even get condemned for it if they don't amend it). I once
wrote a private mail (in Catalan) to give examples, so I can dig it if you
want to, but it should be obvious here.

So spreading the idea that free copyright licenses can't be infringed no
matter what you do is quite against any freedom goal. The infringement
of free licenses often is freedom-destructive.

You might simply advocate for the abolishment of copyright, which would
likely be more consistent although not by itself wise (but not necessarily worse
than some other options, like some that are increasingly being tried).