A modest proposal to stop INTERNET PIRACY in its tracks

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 13:15:13 UTC 2012

On 24 January 2012 12:57, Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild
<repentinus at fsfe.org> wrote:

> Proposing censorship in the name of freedom seems a bit...
> unconventional, do you not think so? Of course, freedom from
> proprietary materials would be nice, but ultimately the decision
> should be left to the citizens: either they do not use proprietary
> materials or they get rid of the copyright laws. Censorship would
> cause only extra problems.

This is what I get for not flagging a joke. In English, "a modest
proposal" is a phrase that conventionally introduces a straight-faced
Juvenal-style satire. The usage comes from a famous essay by Jonathan
Swift:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal

My apologies to non-native speakers confused by my post :-)

- d.