Why “fellowship”?

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Mon Jan 16 09:12:43 UTC 2012

hi MJ Ray,

* MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> [2012-01-10 21:38:26 +0000]:

> > (It does not make sense to talk about "democratic" when you talk about
> > organisations. It just makes sense for states. For organisations we
> > should talk about participation, transperency, decision making, etc.)
>
> As one may expect from a supporter of ICA.coop/coop/principles.html
> and other democracy campaigns, I disagree with that parenthesis
> completely. People who want us to ask for lesser words instead of
> democracy are similar to those who want us to ask about lesser
> aspects like "open source" instead of freedoms, so I am really
> surprised and disappointed to see it from such a leading light in FSFE.

I think there is a misunderstand between the two of us, which results
form my different background as a former student of political science.

> I feel it is as important that users control our corporations as it is
> that users control our computers.

I agree with this.

What I meant with my statement is, that the word "democracy" makes no
sense for something else than states. (I need to search for an old
e-mail where I explained that.)

For organisation we should not waste our time to think about "is it
democratic, or not", but talk about participation (who can participate
how), decision making (who can influence decisions, how are they made),
transparency (how are decisions and structures documented/communicated),

Of course I am also fine that everybody chooses the organisation where
he wants to get active and work for. With organisations that is much
easier than we states :)

Regards,
Matthias

--
Matthias Kirschner - FSFE - Fellowship Coordinator, German Coordinator
FSFE, Linienstr. 141, 10115 Berlin, t +49-30-27595290 +49-1577-1780003