Why “fellowship”?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 5 15:53:16 UTC 2012

On Thu,  5 Jan 2012 16:30, tanguy+fsfe at ortolo.eu said:

> I can understand that, but I really doubt that the German law provides
> no way to have a viable assotiation with more than a handful of
> “members”, that term being understood as: people that pay a

Sure there is; there are lots of associations with hundreds of thousands
members.  It was a deliberate decision of most of the FSFE founders,
that the current members shall have a close control over the acceptance
of new members.  This close control of membership was also one of the
reasons why the FSF-France members split themselves of from the FSFE
(despite that the seem to keep their membership also restricted to a few
people).

Hopefully the FSFE can eventually turn itself into an equal membership
association (like most associations are).

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner