A pan-European DFD activity proposal

Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild repentinus at fsfe.org
Tue Feb 14 16:03:44 UTC 2012

On 14 February 2012 15:44, Alessandro Polvani
<alessandro.polvani at fsfe.org> wrote:
> On 02/14/2012 03:51 PM, Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild wrote:
> * the English language. This is a huge barrier at least for Italy,
> where maybe the 10% of students of an average high school (excluding
> schools with a focus on languages) would be able and willing to write
> a blog post in English. Maybe I go wrong but that would be a huge
> barrier. This does not mean that we can't do it, but that we could not
> expect, in my opinion, a huge participation.
If we dropped the requirement, we would have to organize the
translation of the entries for the jury.

> * I think we should announce the prize with the competition
> announcement, to motivate people to participate without restricting
> the audience on people who are already familiar with Open Standards.
> So I also propose to quickly brainstorm about the prize. The Yeelong
> laptop that was proposed on a previous e-mail costs $449 (340 EUR)
> both on http://freedomincluded.com/ and on amazon.com
I agree. I hope that Matthias can offer some insights (especially
regarding the budget) here. I like doing things that are the right
things to do, and I need no extra motivators. Thus, I probably cannot
pick the best prizes. But someone on the lists is bound to have
experience organizing contests.

Regards,
--
Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild