Pros and cons of different free PDF readers

Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild repentinus at fsfe.org
Tue Apr 17 17:22:16 UTC 2012

Dear discussants,

As you may or may not be aware, we are planning to overhaul the
pdfreaders.org website. As part of the future changes, we are planning
to replace the current table with platform-specific reader
recommendations. Thus, it would be beneficial if you listed the pros
and cons of the free readers you actively use and the criteria we
should consider when evaluating the readers. The reason behind this
request is very simple: Today I had a rather interesting talk with the
leader of Estonian Pirate Party, and we happened to discuss free PDF
readers, and our use cases were just so dramatically different – I use
PDFs for reading only, but for him good annotation system was a must –
that I decided to ask as diverse audience as possible for input.

Thus, could you please tell us why a certain free reader is better
than the alternatives or elaborate on your daily use? Please tell us
what we should consider when we are going to make the final choice on
recommendations.

Thanks.

Some ideas:
-> Existence of a browser plug-in (the idea is from Hannes, I think)
-> Annotation system

Faithfully yours,
--
Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild