CA safety (Re: Microsoft supporting tyrants?)

Bernhard Reiter reiter at fsfeurope.org
Fri Mar 25 13:01:59 UTC 2011

Am Freitag, 25. März 2011 11:18:34 schrieb Werner Koch:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 11:07, Torsten.Grote at fsfe.org said:
> > Because it is not as easy as collecting some hardware components and
> > because not as many people are intersted in the topic.
>
> And because such a list doesn't help.  In a browser all CAs are
> implicitly cross-certified.  Thus a single not that well managed CA sets
> the entire security level to its own.

The list would help so that people can make a concious decision about
their minimum level of their set of root CAs. Yes, it is just one piece of the
puzzle. In addition implementations must add more.

> Even if all CAs would technically
> and organizational work at par I am pretty sure that a government or a
> bigcorp is able to convince its home CA to create a fraudulent certificate.

Sure, though then I'd rather trust a root CA from the US or Germany
then I would trust one from Libya. At least I can decide.

--
FSFE -- Deputy Coordinator Germany                            (fsfeurope.org)
Your donation makes our work possible:  www.fsfeurope.org/help/donate.en.html