CA safety (Re: Microsoft supporting tyrants?)

Torsten Grote Torsten.Grote at fsfe.org
Wed Mar 23 09:21:29 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 23 March 2011 09:46:26 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> As for the CA safety: This is an important issue. I think two things
> should  happen: We need an initiative to evaluate root CAs and publish
> lists. Also I think we should create a Free Software certificate checker
> that also uses these list, e.g. something like Gpg4win (I am one of the
> makers of Gpg4win).

Since there seems to be some interest in the topic, here are some latest news
and an intersting blog post:

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/detecting-certificate-authority-compromises-
and-web-browser-collusion

It also shows how two Free Software browsers handle the problem of certificate
revocation in a secret and not very trustworthy way.

I agree with Bernhard and the author of the blog post that we need better
tools "for ensuring trust, identity, authenticity, and confidentiality on the
internet".

Torsten