Commercial Software (was: Re: Nokia spreading FUD?)

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Mar 15 12:55:11 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 08:37 -0400, simo wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 08:02 +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
> > I would struggle to label most free software as commercial on that
> > basis. RHEL would be an example I suppose, but I wouldn't call Ubuntu
> > commercial.
>
> They sell support contract for Ubuntu, why not ?

Because the support contract is the commercial good. When I say
"commercial software" I'm referring to the software.

> > Of course commerciality isn't equivalent to non-freedom but it's pretty
> > indicative and if you used it as a rule of thumb you'd probably be right
> > 99.999% of the time.
>
> Bollocks.

Ignoring the language; you honestly think that if we made a list of all
commercial software available and we picked out, say, 100, it would be
expected that at least one free software app would be in that pick?

If that's what you believe, fine.

Cheers,

Alex.

--
This message was scanned by Better Hosted and is believed to be clean.
http://www.betterhosted.com