Commercial Software (was: Re: Nokia spreading FUD?)

Hugo Roy hugo at fsfe.org
Tue Mar 15 09:35:58 UTC 2011

Le mardi 15 mars 2011 à 09:07 +0000, Alex Hudson a écrit :
> For me, software is commercial software if you enter into a
> transaction
> to obtain/use it.

A transaction isn't always monetary. You can see a "contract" as a
transaction too. The GPL can be seen as a transaction too.

Plus, you can pay to get a copy of Free Software by paying. As RMS puts
it "Selling Free Software is OK!"
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

I guess it proves there is no point in saying "commercial software" or
"non commercial software". To me, all software is commercial unless
forbidden (for instance, with creative commons non commercial, but
that'd be silly). And the GPL does not forbid commercial use.

Best,
  Hugo Roy                           im: hugo at jabber.fsfe.org
  French Coordinator               mobile: +33 (0)6 0874 1341

The Free Software Foundation Europe works to create general
understanding and support for software freedom in politics, law,
business and society. Become a Fellow http://www.fsfe.org/join