Antifeatures - Windows XP Starter - 3 applications?

Michael Kesper mkesper at fsfe.org
Fri Jun 17 20:53:16 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 11:48:15AM +0200, Matthias Kirschner wrote:
> Now I had some discussion about one point. In the German Wikipedia they
> say that Windows XP starter had a a ram limitation and you could only
> run 3 programs at the same time. There are one or two other sources
> (only news sites) which say that this was not realised.

Why not ask Microsoft themselves?
Look here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/windows-7-starter-top-questions
and
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

No wallpaper. How absurd!
And 2 GB of RAM is not very much for Win7, either.
Although the netbooks that come with it normally can't handle more than that,
anyways.
Maybe the lifted the three application approach because it was two hard
to implement - what counts as an application? Or maybe virus scanner vendors
intervened. ;)

Best wishes
Michael
--