EC Consulation - audiovisual works

Nicola Bignami nicola at kernel-panic.dnsdojo.net
Thu Jul 21 18:47:33 UTC 2011

Il 21/07/2011 10:29, Matthias Kirschner ha scritto:
> Hi Nicola,
>
> (When Karsten is back from vacation he can decide how we want to move
> forward here, but it already helps if we gather some more information.)
>
> * Nicola Bignami<nicola at kernel-panic.dnsdojo.net>  [2011-07-20 20:11:43 +0200]:
>
>> Altough compulsory DRM systems are apparently not imposed, the
>> document considers only the non-free contents and mainly focuses on
>> things like the defense of the copyright and of the intellectual
>> property.
> What beside copyright is involved? Does it also cover patents,
> trademarks or other monopoly rights?

It doesn't mention patents and trademarks at all.
It talks about the role of collecting societies in the remunerating
process for the copyright holders. It asks if is necessary to have a
mandatory intermediary to protect the holders' interests.

>> Seems that the only purpose of this consultation is to
>> find a common way to remunerate and tutelate the copyright holders
>> across every nation of Europe and to define what rights they can
>> negate to the final users.
> So in the document there is no mentioning of software or anything about
> restricting computer users?

Nope.
Nothing about software or computer is specifically mentioned.
However it talks about license management and defense from the copyright
infringement. It talks also about restrictions, but in more generic terms.