Usability Studies

Sam Tuke samtuke at fsfe.org
Tue Feb 22 15:22:39 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 22 February 2011 14:40:45 Matthias Kirschner wrote:
> for an interview I was asked if Free Software is less useable than
> non-free software. Do you have any good studies which I can include in
> the reply?

As I recall, Novell did extensive usability testing a few years ago and the
results were widely reported and in the favour of FS DEs.

AFAIK Gnome and KDE haven't done extensive scientific usability studies for
current versions. Perhaps the Gnome accessibility team have some data that you
could use?

KDE used to do regular polling and testing of new icons using an online
system, but that is very specific and probably not useful.

Also, GIMP has (or had) an excellent usability expert working on the new
interface, and he did much blogging on the redesign (yet to be launched). That
guy may also have done research for other FS projects.

Thanks,

Sam.

--
Sam Tuke
British Team Coordinator
IM : samtuke at jabber.fsfe.org

Document Freedom Day - Liberate your documents!
http://documentfreedom.org - March 30th 2011