RFC for FSFE Edu-Team mission statement

Sam Tuke samtuke at fsfe.org
Thu Feb 10 12:34:40 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 01 February 2011 22:15:09 Guido Arnold wrote:
> Any comment or question is welcome! There is also an editable etherpad
> version where you can integrate your suggestions right away and
> anonymous [5].

My edit, taking into accounts Guido's recommendations (tracked on etherpad,
with comments):

With the increasing usage of Information technology, software competency has
become a key skill in modern society. In the overwhelming majority of sectors
and industries [see #2], students of all ages require strong IT skills to
become employable, productive, and competitive.

Free Software applications provide the best tools for educators as they foster
transferrable skills and concepts based upon international standards, rather
than familiarity with individual products from particular vendors. Free
Software in education upholds scientific principles of participation,
collaboration and peer review, and in doing so develops additional learning
skills by sharing knowledge and achievements amogst students.

The goal of FSFE's Education Team is to bring the benefits of Free Software to
all education related activities and institutions. In accordance with FSFE's
Self Conception [0], we shall bring the use of Free Software in education to
political agendas across European borders, and inform administrations,
teachers, students and their carers about the benefits Free Software provides.

We shall foster communication and cooperation among these groups, and
establish and extend dialogue between them and Free Software developers and
advocates. We shall establish a legal framework that shall prohibit
discriminate against Free Software and it's users, and make available FSFE's
extensive expertise to all parties involved.

[0] http://fsfe.org/about/principles.en.html

--
Sam Tuke
Free Software Foundation Europe