MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Dec 27 19:11:15 UTC 2011

"Heiki \"Repentinus\" Ojasild" <repentinus at fsfe.org>
> It has come to my attention that our mailing lists are publicly
> archived at <http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/project/fsfeurope.org/>.
> The web@ and translators@ have faced similar issues in the past, if I
> remember correctly. On those lists it was decided that this is not
> desirable. I think that the FSFE should not allow this kind of
> archival as we have the functionality internally. However, since I am
> not qualified to decide... I am writing this. I think it would be best
> if the FSFE had a universal policy, but you are obviously welcome to
> mirror the discussion on the lists relevant to you.
>
> Anyway, let's discuss it. Your thoughts, opinions, actions are?

Let it be.

Why does it matter?  The discussion list is public for both
subscription and archive.  The internal archive is pipermail, which is
not the nicest thing to use, to put it mildly.

Also, there are many other archives which also have a copy of the
discussion list - gmane.org being one of the best.  Like gmane,
archiveorange seem to link back to the real list.

There's one main thing I see at archiveorange which could be
considered objectionable.  They show adverts if one's browser isn't
set to forbid them and maybe they don't donate any surplus income to
FSFE for this use of its resources.

So why did web@ and translators@ object?

Regards,