lobbying Free Software in competitions run by public institutions

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 13:32:12 UTC 2011

On 22 August 2011 14:23, Federico Bruni <bruni at fsfe.org> wrote:

> Here's a brief summary of the case: a public portuguese institution[1]
> has organized a composition competition[2] where the music submitted
> must be typeset either by Finale or Sibelius (both proprietary
> software).

I think it's well worth the effort. MuseScore is fully up to the job,
according to several musicians and composers I know (even ones using
it on Windows). They even use it as a composition tool, because it
plays back MIDI!

Send them some MuseScore output (which is actually Lilypond output,
which is the best music typesetting that exists) and see what their
problem with it is?

- d.