Russia uses Microsoft to suppress dissent

Hugo Roy hugo at fsfe.org
Fri Sep 17 10:30:44 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Microsoft recently announced they would change something in their policy
to avoid that in the future. But sure it's a very bad advertising for
them.

See also Glyn Moody's article quoting the New York Times where he places
the issue within Free Software advocacy. I particularly agree when he
writes that he doesn't understand why those NGOs, promoting Freedom
etc., don't already use Free Software, as this would protect them better
against that sort of things, but sure against all sort of intrusions.

I remember for example one of the heads of Greenpeace in France, whose
laptop was very weakly protected (using Microsoft Windows and stuffs)
and information was leaked to companies he fights against (like Total).

So I think the second interesting question is:

how do we, Free software supporters and Free software NGOs, can
cooperate more with other NGOs to explain them:
- the values of freedom carried by Free Software
- the inherent advantages in terms of control and security over their
information
- the collateral advantages in terms of hacktivism online, etc.

What do you think is the answer? Are you also working with other NGOs
not related to the software field?

Best regards,
  Hugo Roy                           im: hugo at jabber.fsfe.org
  French Coordinator            http://www.fsfe.org/about/roy

The Free Software Foundation Europe works to create general
understanding and support for software freedom in politics, law,
business and society. Become a Fellow http://www.fsfe.org/join