Norwegian Free Software Center Opposes Government Pro FOSS Policy

Carsten Agger agger at c.dk
Mon Sep 13 13:21:49 UTC 2010

man, 13 09 2010 kl. 13:54 +0100, skrev Alex Hudson:

> If we take that argument at face value, what we're saying is that for
> any Government website (as an example), people should have the right to
> run a modified version of it for their commercial purposes that have
> nothing to do with the Government data. It would be interesting to see
> the construction of an argument that those freedoms are necessary for
> good governance.

No. A website is a service that is provided but runs on the Government's
server.

Here, the agency running the server is the user, not the visitor on the
page.

So that would be tantamount to saying that if the government is using
software to run a website, then said government's employees should be
able to inspect and change the code.

And to pass the changes on to partners who need e.g. the same error
corrections. That's two of the freedoms already.