OpenERP Webclient proprietär

Federico Bruni fedelogy at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 07:57:51 UTC 2010

Il giorno mer, 08/09/2010 alle 09.50 +0200, Matthias Kirschner ha
scritto:

> The company 2007-TODAY Tiny ERP Pvt Ltd is also experimenting:
>
>   If you need commercial licence to remove this kind of restriction please
>   contact us.
>
> This would mean that they think that you are not allowed to use their
> software commercially, but that you have to buy another license.

I don't agree with your interpretation :)

I think this sentence is straightforward: you need a commercial license
just if you want to remove links and logos. That is: you can use it
commercially without buying a commercial license... but you must keep
their branding stuff.

This is, for example, a typical strategy of many free (as in beer) photo
galleries for websites.

> But in their FAQ they write:
>
> .  Why add branding restrictions on MPL?
>
>     These restrictions are only to maintain our trademark and branding.
>     It will not affect in any case product copying,
>     improvements, deploying, etc.
>
>     We believe that community will not be affected by these few restrictions
>     that's goal is only to recognise editors efforts. Source still opens and
>     free so enjoy.
>
> This might be influences by the amount and places of Open ERP's "links"
> and "logos", but the startup page is definetely bothering.

This restriction is a nuisance.. but I've never found a Free Software
ERP which is as good AND committed to freedom as OpenERP.

Also, the core software (server and GTK client) is licensed under GPL v.
3. The web client is nice and sexy but it's not essential.

> Debian is packaging it also under non-free, see
> http://git.debian-maintainers.org/?p=open-object/openerp-web.git;a=blob;f=debian/control;hb=HEAD
>
> Does anyone know more about it? Can someone help to distribute this to
> more people. For example the Wikipedia article
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenERP says it is Free Software.

I've read right now the wikipedia page (which has not been edited in the
last days, except for the last version of the software) and I think
there is all the information needed, especially here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenERP#License

What do you think is missing?

Best regards,
Federico