Should the FSF come out in support of Microsoft?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 11:13:34 UTC 2010

On 4 October 2010 09:53, Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> wrote:

> Their philosophical position on the remainder I think is something yet
> to be determined; indeed, the extent to which such a remainder even
> exists would be arguable given the standard they seek to set in
> approval.

Indeed. Giving Microsoft what they're asking for here would be quite
... delicious.

(The EFF is unlikely to be as strident about software patents as the
FSF is, because software patents don't affect free speech quite as
directly as they affect free software. But, y'know, they're smart
geeks with their heads screwed on straight and a good understanding of
just how morally offensive patenting mathematics is, and I expect more
than a few of them are welcoming the opportunity.)

- d.