Server and mailing list outage, May 4-17

Karsten Gerloff gerloff at fsfeurope.org
Wed May 19 13:14:59 UTC 2010

Dear all,

on the evening of Tuesday May 4, the data center which hosts our web
and mail servers experienced a power failure. As a consequence, the
servers running FSFE's mail services - the @fsfe.org forwarding,
mailing lists and FSFE's internal mail system - suffered hardware
damage.

In the evening of Wednesday May 5, related problems caused FSFE's web
server to go offline.

Since the problems started, our system administrators have been
working hard to fix the problem, reinstate basic mail services, and
get FSFE's website back online.

Recovering the mailing lists proved to be a trickier task. Only this
Monday evening (May 17) were we able to get the mailing lists back
online.

Mails sent to our mailing lists during the outage were stored on the
server, and are now being delivered.

This sort of outage clearly shouldn't happen. As a consequence, we
have moved our servers to a different hosting facility with more
reliable services. We are now reviewing and adapting our setup to make
sure that outages will be extremely rare in future, and that we are
able to recover more quickly from those outages that do occur.

Please accept our sincere apologies for this prolonged outage. Thank
you for your understanding, and for your continued support of our
work.

Kind regards,

Karsten Gerloff
President, Free Software Foundation Europe

--
Karsten Gerloff                      [ ]   <gerloff at fsfeurope.org>
Free Software Foundation Europe   [ ][ ][ ]      [http://fsfe.org]

Free Software Foundation Europe e.V. is a German Verein registered
at the Registergericht Hamburg (VR 17030).