Arise, Sir George!

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon May 3 13:04:01 UTC 2010

On 3 May 2010 12:32, Georg C. F. Greve <greve at fsfe.org> wrote:
> On Monday 03 May 2010 00:09:09 David Gerard wrote:

>> How many other free software people have knighthoods?

> Considering that Slashdot was a bit confused about this, as well as my person
> and the rationale for the award, and some people seem to have taken this a
> little too seriously, allow me to point out that Germany got rid of knighthood
> a long time ago.
> The Federal Cross of Merit on ribbon is internationally part of the orders of
> knighthood, hence the "knighting" meme.

And Florence Devouard's isn't equivalent in status to a British
knighthood either - her Order of Merit medal is in the "chevalier"
(knight) class, which is actually the lowest order of the medal.

(A British knighthood is big status. That's why it's so significant
that TimBL got one, and so outrageous that Bill Gates got one.)

I was just interested in who else could claim to be a Knight of Free
Software :-)

> That said, it is a great honor for Free Software and Open Standards and I am
> truly happy for all the things this represents.

Indeed!

- d.