Explaining Open Standards email attachements

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Wed Mar 31 08:01:10 UTC 2010

hi Fabian,

* Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de> [2010-03-30 19:59:00 +0200]:

> For example I'm currently not aware of a proper ODF reader I'd
> want to install on systems I care about, in fact I'm not even aware
> of something similar to antiword, which mostly works to get the
> information I care about out of doc files, has a reasonable list
> of dependencies, doesn't take ages to compile and is easy enough
> to audit and use.

For e-mail I use

  odt2txt - simple converter from OpenDocument Text to plain text

it works quite well.

> > Organisations and Software supporting Open Standards
> >
> >     * OpenOffice.org
> >     * VideoLan, the project making VLC
>
> Given that the page is about email attachments I don't
> think VLC should be mentioned here.

What about Ogg Vorbis audio files?

> > or the ".docx" format. If you share these documents with people using
> > different word processors, it will not be working properly. Good
> > alternatives for Microsoft Word are documents in .RTF or in .ODT (use
> > the "Save As" feature)
>
> Most of the time an even better option is to simply copy and paste
> the frickin' content into the email directly, as the recipient is
> unlikely to care about the fancy layout anyway, and if she does,
> she can always request the source file. It also saves bandwidth
> and makes discussing the content easier.

That is a good point. In a lot of cases it is much better to just add
the content in the e-mail directly.

Best wishes,
Matthias

--
German Coordinator, Fellowship Coordinator
Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) []              (http://fsfe.org)