improving http://documentfreedom.org/Open_Standards

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Tue Mar 30 18:48:42 UTC 2010

Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors at iki.fi> wrote:

> the definition given at
>
> http://documentfreedom.org/Open_Standards
>
> is somewhat abstract. I know that the definition is still
> controversial but I think the following would benefit an average user
> browsing the site:

I think the "What Open Standards mean to you" section is questionable, too.

| Visible effects of Open Standards are that you can:
|
|    * Choose any operating system or application and still be able to
|      read and edit all your old documents.

Any?

|    * Collaborate with others regardless of which software they are using.

Really?

|    * Use any software of your choice to interact with your government.

Even if my government would be using Open Standards in measurable
quantities, I'd still be limited to software that actually supports
those standards.

| The less visible effects of Open Standards are that they lead to:
|
|    * more competition in software, resulting in better pricing
|      and service

I think that's true in some cases, but I doubt that it's true
in all cases. I agree that using Open Standards shouldn't hurt,
though.

|    * increased competition in hardware, meaning more innovative
|      and cost-effective solutions

Same here.

|    * lower taxes as a result of more effective governmental
|      IT solutions that avoid the cost of lock-in

DFD is 2010-03-31, not 2010-04-01, right?

I don't doubt that governments could save a lot of money on IT
solutions if they could get there act together in regard to
Open Standards, but I find it hard to believe that this would
lead to reduced taxes.

Fabian