“Gno” and “Gyes” campaigns - About positive Free Software campaigning

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Jun 28 09:22:56 UTC 2010

Kostas Boukouvalas <boukouvalas at fsfe.org> wrote: [...]
> We cannot - or we should not - reinvent the wheel every time we are
> threatened. What if tomorrow Oracle decides to stop OpenOffice from
> being free software? We' ll say, "wel, its ok, lets write another
> OpenOffice from scratch?". I don't think so.

Assuming various things (which I've not checked), maybe Oracle could
decide to stop OpenOffice from being free software tomorrow, but they
could not stop it from being free software yesterday.  Writing another
"from scratch" doesn't come into it.  Freedom is forever.

So, if Oracle OpenOffice is threatened, the community could have a
G-yes campaign to continue its free software development instead of
only a Gno campaign against Oracle's action.

If every cloud has a silver lining, then every Gno campaign could be
replaced by a G-yes one if there was the vision and will, couldn't it?

It's much easier to encourage action with dreams than nightmares!

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software