Please help me respond to a German user about the GPL

Cruickshank, Peter P.Cruickshank at napier.ac.uk
Thu Feb 11 13:31:49 UTC 2010

Hi

There is the EUPL, which is an EU translation of GPLv2 and intended to be cross-compatible...
http://www.osor.eu/eupl

Not sure if you like it though:

"European Union Public License (EUPL) version 1.1

    This is a free software license. By itself, it has a copyleft comparable to the GPL's. However, it allows recipients to distribute the work under the terms of other selected licenses, and some of those-the Mozilla Public License and the Common Public License in particular-only provide a weaker copyleft. Thus, developers can't rely on this license to provide a strong copyleft.

    The EUPL is compatible with GPLv2, because that is listed as one of the alternative licenses that recipients may use. However, it is incompatible with GPLv3, because recipients are not given permission to use GPLv3's terms, and the EUPL's copyleft conflicts with GPLv3's. Because of this incompatibility, we urge you not to use the EUPL for any software you write."

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

Peter