Discussion Digest, Vol 86, Issue 2

Hugo Roy roy at fsfeurope.org
Wed Feb 10 13:42:20 UTC 2010

Le mercredi 10 février 2010 12:00:01, discussion-request at fsfeurope.org a
écrit :
> > as we do not have the Gpl- Licence in Europe (mean we have it but
> > it is intended different) i still do not know what licence to
> > provide with the source... In Europe everything that is published
> > has a copyright.

I don't really get the difference between GPL in Europe and GPL in the
US. It doesn't work exactly the same way in court because we have
different laws, but there is no "different intention" and we do have the
GPL licence in Europe of course (validated already in several cases in
Europe).

The fact that we have a copyright system that do not need any kind of
registration does not change the fact that the GPL is a contract.

If he's doing a derivative work of a GUI licensed under GPLv2, there
isn't much chance that he'll be able to licence his program with
anything else than GPLv2 anyway.
--
       Hugo Roy
  []   roy at fsfeurope.org
[][][] Assistant to the President (Berlin)
  ||   http://blogs.fsfe.org/hugo
       Mob: +49-176-35308766

Free Software Foundation Europe works to create general understanding
and support for software freedom in politics, law and society-at-large.
For more information, see www.fsfe.org