Powerpoint: the hidden enemy of world peace

Hugo Roy hugo at fsfe.org
Thu Apr 29 13:14:48 UTC 2010

Le jeudi 29 avril 2010 à 09:02 -0400, simo a écrit :
> Ok, then tell me how Free Software would have made any significant
> difference here.

The point is not wheter they would have benefit from using a Free
Software like Impress instead of a proprietary software like Powerpoint
(I thought I made it clear in my 2 previous emails).

The point is Free Software would have made a significant change because,
contrary to proprietary software monoculture, you have more choice in
Free Software, so you can more easily choose the right tool, not
necessarily the tool that Microsoft wants to provide you because
Microsoft thinks that this suits your needs. Since when does Microsoft
know better than the US military which tool to use in order to establish
a solid military strategy?

With Free Software, the US Military would have chosen its tool, or if
they didn't find it, they would have take an existing tool and modify it
to make a better tool to fit their needs.

That is a significant difference I guess.

Best,
Hugo
  Hugo Roy                           im: hugo at jabber.fsfe.org
  French Coordinator            http://www.fsfe.org/about/roy

Free Software Foundation Europe works to create general understanding
and support for software freedom in politics, law and society-at-large.
For more information, see http://www.fsfe.org