Powerpoint: the hidden enemy of world peace

simo simo.sorce at xsec.it
Thu Apr 29 13:02:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 14:42 +0200, Hugo Roy wrote:
> Le jeudi 29 avril 2010 à 08:26 -0400, simo a écrit :
> > On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 13:57 +0200, Hugo Roy wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > This is an interesting article that shows how the proprietary software
> > > monoculture can have weird effects on some other monoculture, such as
> > > military culture :)
> >
> > So if the article had said "OpenOffice.org Impress" it would have been
> > totally different and shown how the Free Software monoculture can have
> > weird effects on some other monoculture, such as military culture ?
> >
> > Oh come on, this is just trolling...
>
> I guess you completely missed my point… if the article would have said
> "OpenOffice.org Impress" I would have just said: it is using the wrong
> tools (exactly like I said for Powerpoint in my previous email).

Exactly, so it is not about free software or proprietary software,
therefore definitely offtopic.

> Here, the fact that it is proprietary software is an explanation of why
> they use the wrong tools → because they don't really have the choice

I see no evidence of this. They use a presentation tool because they
want to use a presentation tool, it doesn't matter if it is poerpoint or
impress.

> (less choice resulting from proprietary software monoculture → everybody
> uses the same tools designed by the same people, here Microsoft).

The issue here is not a better/worse presentation tool, nor the choice.

> Don't misunderstand me Using OpenOffice would have been almost as stupid
> as using Office. They are wrong tools for such things as establishing
> solid military strategy IMHO.

Not almost, for the problem at hand it would have been exactly as
problematic. Because this is not a software freedom problem, just a
military problem.

> Finally, this is not offtopic. We are not discussing military strategy
> here, but discussing on how good Free Software is for giving us the
> right tools to achieve what we want.

Ok, then tell me how Free Software would have made any significant
difference here.

Simo.