non standard PDF?

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Tue Apr 20 09:12:32 UTC 2010

Theo Schmidt <theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch> writes:
> How about this one:
> http://www.skppsc.ch/1/downloads/de/Betrugspraevention_www.den-trick-kenne-ich.ch.pdf

If you decompress that with

pdftk Betrugspraevention_www.den-trick-kenne-ich.ch.pdf output a.pdf uncompress

you can see that it contains 246 small adobe flash programs:

<</P<</TF(TEMPACCESS)>>/D 1491 0 R/N(Media clip for dmPageTrigger24)/CT(application/x-shockwave-flash)/Type/MediaClip/S/MCD>>

(Yes, file says "Macromedia Flash data (compressed), version 9" and
gnash plays them (shows only blue background))

If you decompile the programs you see they refer to vitrium.com which
says

"Smart Document Technology software to control and track PDFs and
their content, while transforming PDFs into dynamic and interactive
documents.

Track who is reading your PDFs and determine whether your content is
being accessed by unauthorized readers; control access to your PDFs
and deter information misuse; embed in-document forms to capture
information on who is reading your PDFs and qualify them as sales
leads."

Google finds

Peter Nieforth: I'm sure there are many ways to do it, but the
technology that we have developed is Flash based. We are actually
using a Flash application inside a PDF, and that Flash application is
collecting the information and reporting it back to the publisher, in
real-time.

"As a result, we know where a document came from and where its gets
passed to."

-- http://www.stonetemple.com/articles/interview-peter-nieforth.shtml

-Timo