Ubuntu's not GNU/Linux?

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Tue Apr 20 08:47:38 UTC 2010

Am 20.04.2010 10:22, schrieb Graziano:
> I think we should try to achieve freedom when it is possible.

Yes, definitely. I don't think our opinions differ here. :)

> What I see, instead, is free software activists installing ubuntu and then
> giving up without explaiing the four freedoms, the philosophy behind the
> GNU operating system and the fact that ubuntu is not a fully free software
> distro.

But the first thing is not Ubuntus fault but rather "just"(?) a problem
of the activists involved, isn't it? I mean, explaining the "four
freedoms" is something that has to happen in any case, not? Even running
a "completely software libre" platform, people suddenly could come up
with the idea to, in example, run VirtualBox and a Windows installation
inside of that. This kind of "user education" is required no matter how
free the system to start with initially was/is.

> Fully free software GNU/Linux distributions are here now.
> Let's try to install, push, explain those ones instead of just "installing
> ubuntu" first, would you?

In most cases - yes, and yet I would like to make this depending upon
the very user and situation. I still consider the Ubuntu Philosophy a
good entry point into that there is more about "software libre" than
just downloading free bits off the internet. Even while the Ubuntu
Philosophy is not really what "software libre" is all about, it might
give some user completely new to that kind of approach (and eventually
considering software just another "product") an easy-on first contact
point for learning that there eventually is more to it, and there is
more to it one should actually care about...

K.

Kristian Rink * http://pictorial.zimmer428.net # kawazu at jabber.org
"What was once thought can never be unthought."
(Duerrenmatt - 'Die Physiker')