Ubuntu's not GNU/Linux?

Carsten Agger agger at c.dk
Mon Apr 19 20:08:35 UTC 2010

> I don't care if it is common sense or reasonable to you, to have the
> four freedoms for every software I use (remotely or localy). I want
> the four freedoms for every software I use, no matter if it runs on
> my computer or the computer of someone else. I just matters that I
> am a user and don't have the four freedoms.
>

>> Well I don't buy on-line, neither most of the general poppulation.
>
> It depends on the country and person. I buy online very frequently
> and I hardly remember when I bought electronic devices in a store.

Seriously, now: When you buy in a web store, do you have the four freedoms
with the software you use to buy your stuff?  If not, you shouldn't be
using them by your own standards.

However, why should Amazon let you change the code running on their
servers? The software they use could still be free software, but when
you're buying stuff from them (or from the FSF or FSFE, for that matter),
*you* do not have the four freedoms, since you're not really the user of
the software, Amazon (or the FSF or FSFE) is.