Ubuntu's not GNU/Linux?

Stian Rødven Eide stian at fsfeurope.org
Sat Apr 17 21:46:08 UTC 2010

> Carsten Agger <agger at c.dk> writes:
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/installation-guide/i386/what-is-linux.htm

That link seems to be dead from where I'm sitting. However, this one is not:
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/about-ubuntu/C/free-software.html

There has always been somewhat of a discrepancy between the commitments
laid out by Ubuntu's manifestos and the actions of Canonical. One of the most
prominent ways in which Ubuntu has distinguished itself from other distributions
is how they've been helping people install patented codecs and proprietary
software themselves. The most prominent of the alternatives have been:
* "Those repositories are not part of the project" (Debian, Fedora)
* "Buy our PowerPack/EnterpriseDesktop" (Mandriva, RedHat, SuSe)
* "We're a non-profit community project. No one will sue us" (Arch, Mint, etc.)

I don't see Ubuntu as particularly more problematic than any of the above. In
fact, since the inclusion of proprietary software in Ubuntu is a corporate decision
that affects everyone of its users, and not a matter of people choosing
convenience for themselves, an argument against it might have a more
persuasive effect.

For instance, in at least one case we could argue that it has been made
un-needed. What I find most absurd is perhaps that Adobe Reader is included
in Canonical's repository, when the free readers work at least as well.

/Stian