Ubuntu's not GNU/Linux?

Hugo Roy hugo at fsfe.org
Fri Apr 16 12:26:14 UTC 2010

Le vendredi 16 avril 2010 à 13:11 +0100, Sam Tuke a écrit :
> I'm not aware of any good reason for Ubuntu hiding the fact that its
> based on GNU/Linux.

As I said in my email, it is:
* to build their own brand
* to avoid confusion like Linux <==> Ubuntu

It's like when someone asks me what's the weird OS of my laptop. I don't
say: "Linux" or "GNU/Linux" first, because it confuses people: you find
Linux and GNU everywhere, from TV to phones, PDA, servers, etc.

I first say "Free Software," then eventually I show it's Ubuntu (if they
want to give it a try).

Again, I personally have no problem with that. My main problem are:
* Ubuntu One is proprietary server
* The Front page says Open Source instead of Free Software

But I don't think it's worth having that discussion. Canonical has made
their choice on that. Let's talk about important issues like Ubuntu One.

Best,
Hugo

  Hugo Roy                           im: hugo at jabber.fsfe.org
  French Coordinator            http://www.fsfe.org/about/roy

Free Software Foundation Europe works to create general understanding
and support for software freedom in politics, law and society-at-large.
For more information, see http://www.fsfe.org