Ubuntu's not GNU/Linux?

Gregory Zysk gmzysk at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 16 11:43:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Sam Tuke <mail at samtuke.com> wrote:

> I see that the Ubuntu homepage (www.ubuntu.com/) makes no mention of
> either GNU or Linux.
>
> This seems a very serious omission to me.
>
> I don't find it reassuring that the most popular desktop GNU/Linux doesn't
> seem to think its an important association to make.
>
> Perhaps a little haranguing is in order?

Sam,

That is because they can't. It is about licensing. They ship non-free or
proprietary software with their distribution, such as Flash which prohibits
them from adhering to the 4 freedoms of the GNU philosophy. You can find
GNU's own stance on Ubuntu
here.<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/common-distros.html>

Gregory

Title: Fedora Ambassador Netherlands
User Homepage: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Gmzysk

PGP Fingerprint: 4643 E1AE 1AAD 85D4 6276
                        7C42 3591 A189 B8BF 04D6