Explaining Open Standards (in more than just email)

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Fri Apr 9 13:20:59 UTC 2010

Theo Schmidt <schmidt at umwelteinsatz.ch> writes:
> Ideal?	Pragmatic?  Compromise?
>
> ODT	DOC	    RTF (if no fancy formatting)
>                      HTML (a very good exchange format for some people and tasks)
> 		    PDF (if no major editting required)

This is the kind of concrete information that in my opinion would make
http://www.documentfreedom.org/ a better site.

Hugo's "Send me attachments I can read, use open standards!"
concentrates on email. This is a particularly challenging environment
since it is usually not ok to send the same data in multiple different
formats (large emails are frowned upon). I think we should be more
general and not concentrate on email alone.

Offering both ODT and PDF is easy on a web site. In my opinion
converting one web site to use open standards also matters a lot more
than converting a single email user simply because a web site usually
influences more people.