Explaining Open Standards email attachements [summary what to send?]

Theo Schmidt schmidt at umwelteinsatz.ch
Tue Apr 6 19:08:01 UTC 2010

Sam Liddicott schrieb:
> I think we understand eachother and are now mostly discusing the meaning of words.
>
> I'm glad you wrote your document and I think it was a good idea to invite feedback.

Yes, this is to me a fascinating disscussion not just about words but about
ideals versus pragmatism. Thank you. Let's recapitulate on file types to *send*
ourselves:

Ideal?	Pragmatic?  Compromise?

ODT	DOC	    RTF (if no fancy formatting)
                     HTML (a very good exchange format for some people and tasks)
		    PDF (if no major editting required)

Notes: None of us need ever to send OOXML.
        TXT is not a good idea because then the question of character set arises.
        OpenOffice3 can do a hybrid format: PDF with embedded ODT.

Ideal?	    Pragmatic?  Compromise?

OGG Vorbis  MP3		?
FLAC	    WAV         ?
OGG Theora  MP4         FLV, MPEG1, MPEG2

Notes: Actually more complicated as different container and encoder foramts.
        I find that *only* MPEG1 will play on just about any computer and device.

Of course it depends on the person you are sending the file to, his or her
environment, and your aim. Is the person computer-literate? Is it a large
company? Is it a government office in a country required to accept your ODTs? Do
you want to "educate" or cause the least bother?

Cheers, Theo