Explaining Open Standards email attachements

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Tue Apr 6 10:34:21 UTC 2010

Am 06.04.2010 12:03, schrieb Matthias Kirschner:
> Of course I can complain about that. I don't always do it, but in most
> cases I do. Especially in those where others want something from me. I
> want to be lazy, too. Why should only I install new stuff or convert
> things?

I always thought of this discussion as of something rather funny yet
dangerous. Very often I do recieve business mails (mainly end users
asking for help, in most cases providing screenshots attached as bitmaps
posted to a .doc file). I don't like it for obvious reasons, even though
I can easily open them (using OOo, abiword or whatever application I
have installed here).

The problem is: Most people aren't generally ignorant towards open
standards - they simply don't know enough of that. They don't provide
you with .doc files thinking "everyone uses Word" but because, at some
point in time, someone showed them how to use their computer to write,
save, print, and eventually send out a letter via e-mail, and that's
what they do day-to-day. Eventually they know they're running MS Word
because that's the text below that starter icon and that's what the
splash screen says while launching the application, but they don't know
any more about this. They hardly know about what an "application" or a
"word processor" is, and they even less know about what a "file type", a
"file format", "document type", ... is. They want (or, in some cases,
have) to write and send out _letters_ not _files_, and this is what they
do. Maybe some of them even would go out and use another office, text
processor, ..., but they don't even know what to do whenever they
encounter a message like "I can't read .doc files because I do not use
Word". It's that "untrained end-user" point of view completely missing
in this standards discussion so far, IMHO. It's people like these
working for administrative / government institutions, in example, simply
sending out documents they wrote (.doc), without the ability to treat a
"can't-read-that" response the right way. They aren't necessarily lazy,
they simply don't know. How to explain the matter of "open document
standards" to someone who hasn't even an idea that there actually are
"different ways" of storing a computer written text?

K.

Kristian Rink * http://pictorial.zimmer428.net # kawazu at jabber.org
"What was once thought can never be unthought."
(Duerrenmatt - 'Die Physiker')