Examples of proprietary control

Jonas Forsslund jonas at forsslundsystems.se
Tue Oct 13 11:55:42 UTC 2009

We (Royal Institute of Technology, and my company Forsslund Systems)
have very much issues with proprietary drivers for haptic (force)
feedback devices.
The drivers are not only proprietary but also really outdated and bad. The
manufacturer of the devices wants to sell licenses of their API, and doesn't
work on improving the hardware. They have patents that restricts competitors
to make similar devices and/or the competitors sees it risky to enter
that market.
So basically we are stuck with badly functional drivers and non-optimal
engineered and non-updated hardware due both to proprietary software and
patents. So it clearly harms innovation for sure

Best regards
Jonas Forsslund