ExtJS licencing

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Fri Nov 13 10:13:39 UTC 2009

Sam,

On 13/11/09 10:02, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> The trouble is that these terms are non-recursive; if I receive JpGraph
> via the QPL [http://qt.nokia.com/doc/4.0/qpl.html] from someone other
> than Mr JpGraph, then I receive the rights that the QPL grants, which
> the conveyor was granted by not using it commercially.
>
> Having received those rights, I can now use the software commercially,
> without paying for a commercial license (and perhaps may not even
> realise this expectation!).

I wouldn't be so sure of your ground. I'm not sure why the person giving
you a copy of the software would be your licensor, unless they have some
kind of sub-license which allows them to do that.

The license has to come from a rights holder after all, otherwise it is
worthless (giving someone rights for use/distribution/etc. doesn't give
that licensee an automatic ability to pass those rights on). I don't see
anywhere in those licenses where the copyright holder is giving you
permission for commercial use: the license texts themselves don't give
you that.

Cheers

Alex.