ExtJS licencing

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Fri Nov 13 10:02:41 UTC 2009

One of the more interesting cases I came across was:

  JpGraph Professional Version
  If you plan on using JpGraph in a commercial context you will need to
  acquire the professional license. Commercial use is for example if you
  use JpGraph on a site to provide a service for paying customers or for
  example if you are using JpGraph in an intranet to provide support for
  internal business processes, i.e. in benefit for a commercial company.

  In short, if you use JpGraph where you have an economic advantage
  (either through paying customers or improving internal business
  processes) this most likely falls under commercial use.

otherwise:

  Software License
  JpGraph is released under a dual license. QPL 1.0 (Qt Free Licensee)
  For non-commercial, open-source or educational use and JpGraph
  Professional License for commercial use. The professional version also
  includes additional features and support.

The trouble is that these terms are non-recursive; if I receive JpGraph
via the QPL [http://qt.nokia.com/doc/4.0/qpl.html] from someone other
than Mr JpGraph, then I receive the rights that the QPL grants, which
the conveyor was granted by not using it commercially.

Having received those rights, I can now use the software commercially,
without paying for a commercial license (and perhaps may not even
realise this expectation!).

I explained this to the author, who wasn't very interested.

Sam