ExtJS licencing

Carsten Agger agger at c.dk
Fri Nov 13 08:49:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 08:15 +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
>> However, it's pretty clear that their licensing terms are that you
> >> cannot use it with a non-free server back-end, which effectively means
> >> it's not really GPLv3'd.
> >>
> > I couldn't find this interpretation. Can you give us some specifics of
> > what you mean here?
> >

> http://www.extjs.com/company/dual.php

What that page appears to say is that if you build a web application
with ExtJS and distribute it for others to use then it must be under the
GPL v3 or a similar "open source" license.

If you build an application and put it on your own site, i.e. just *use*
it you wouldn't incur such obligation as far as I can see - since
they're not using the Affero GPL.

I don't see where they consider use on a Web page as "distribution".
However, if that was their intention they should probably have used the
Affero GPL instead.

br
Carsten

--