Figures about Free Software companies this year

Sergey Matveev stargravesm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 06:37:52 UTC 2009

Greetings,

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 08:09:17PM +0100, Matthias Kirschner wrote:

> I was asked about numbers how the Free Software business reacted this
> year during the financial crisis. Do they suffer, do they benefit? Most
> of the Free Software companies I talked to said it was fine this year.
>
> Does anyone have figures about it? Until now I have not found good
> sources.

I have got some kind of success story in a company where I work. It
manufactures different server solutions, network attached storages and
so on. Because of financial crisis it was not able to pay for very
expensive proprietary software for those NASes. And there was a
decision to create own free software replacement for it. And we
perfectly succeeded with it and with contribution to some other free
software projects!

--
Happy hacking, Sergey Matveev
FSF Associate member #5968 | FSFE Fellow #1390